Raglan (Welsh: Rhaglan)
Raglan (Welsh: Rhaglan) is a village in Monmouthshire, south east Wales, United Kingdom.
It is located some 9 miles south-west of Monmouth, midway between Monmouth and Abergavenny on the A40 road very near to the junction with the A449 road.
The fame of the village derives from its large castle, Raglan Castle, built for William ap Thomas, and now a magnificent 15th century ruin maintained by Cadw.
Usk (Welsh: Brynbuga)
Usk (Welsh: Brynbuga) is a small town in Monmouthshire, south east Wales, situated 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Newport.
It is located on the River Usk, which is spanned by an arched stone bridge at the western entrance to the town.
A castle above the town overlooks the ancient crossing point.
It developed as a small market town, with some industry including the making of Japanware, and a notable prison.
In recent years Usk has become known for its history of success in Britain in Bloom competitions, winning the Large Village award in 2005.
The resident population of the town in 2001 was 2,318.
Abergavenny (Welsh: Y Fenni)
Abergavenny (Welsh: Y Fenni), meaning Mouth of the River Gavenny, is a market town in Monmouthshire, Wales.
It is located 15 miles (24 km) west of Monmouth on the A40 and A465 roads, 6 miles (10 km) from the English border.
Originally the site of a Roman fort, Gobannium, it became a medieval walled town within the Welsh Marches.
The town contains the remains of a medieval stone castle built soon after the Norman conquest of Wales.
Abergavenny is promoted as the "Gateway to Wales".
Situated at the confluence of a tributary stream, the Gavenny, and the River Usk, it is almost surrounded by two mountains – the Blorenge (559 m) and the Sugar Loaf (596 m) – and five hills: Ysgyryd Fawr (The Skirrid), Ysgyryd Fach (Skirrid Fach), Deri, Rholben and Mynydd Llanwenarth, known locally as "Llanwenarth Breast".
It provides access to the nearby Black Mountains and the Brecon Beacons National Park.
The Offa's Dyke Path is close by and the Marches Way, the Beacons Way and Usk Valley Walk all pass through the town.
Trellech (occasionally spelt Trelech, Treleck or Trelleck) (Welsh: Tryleg)
Trellech is a village in Monmouthshire, south-east Wales, near Monmouth and the location of an archaeological site.
The village gives its name to the community of Trellech United, in which the village is situated.
The name of the village derives from the Welsh language and means either "the town (tre) of slates (llech)" or "three (tri) slates (llech)".
There are three standing stones in the village, known as Harold's Stones.
There are 26 known spellings for the village.
The Church of St Nicholas is a Grade I listed building.
The village is designated as a Conservation Area.
Tintern (Welsh: Tyndyrn)
Tintern (Welsh: Tyndyrn) is a village on the west bank of the River Wye in Monmouthshire, Wales, close to the border with England, about 5 miles north of Chepstow.
It is popular with tourists, who visit for the natural scenery and the ruined Tintern Abbey.
The modern settlement of Tintern has been formed through the coalescence of two historic villages, previously separate parishes - Tintern Parva, forming the northern end of the village and Chapel Hill which forms the southern end.
The village is designated as a Conservation Area.
Chepstow (Welsh: Cas-gwent)
Chepstow (Welsh: Cas-gwent) is a town in Monmouthshire, Wales, adjoining the border with Gloucestershire, England.
It is located on the River Wye, about 2 miles (3.2 km) above its confluence with the River Severn, and adjoining the western end of the Severn Bridge.
It is 16 miles (26 km) east of Newport and 110 miles (180 km) west of London.
Chepstow Castle, situated on a clifftop above the Wye and its bridge, is often cited as the oldest surviving stone castle in Britain. The castle was established by William fitzOsbern immediately after the Norman conquest, and was extended in later centuries before becoming ruined after the Civil War.
A Benedictine priory was also established within the walled town, which was the centre of the Marcher lordship of Striguil.
The port of Chepstow became noted in the Middle Ages for its imports of wine, and also became a major centre for the export of timber and bark, from nearby woodland in the Wye valley and Forest of Dean.
In the late eighteenth century the town was a focus of early tourism as part of the "Wye Tour", and the tourist industry remains important. Other important industries included shipbuilding - one of the First World War National Shipyards was established in the town - and heavy engineering, including the prefabrication of bridges and, now, wind turbine towers.
Chepstow is also well known for its racecourse, which has hosted the Welsh National each year since 1949.
It is served by the M48 motorway, and its accessibility to the cities of Bristol, Newport and Cardiff has led to the growth of commuting.
It is administered as part of Monmouthshire County Council, and is within the Monmouth parliamentary constituency and Wales Assembly constituency.
Chepstow is on the western bank of the Wye, while adjoining villages on the eastern bank of the river, Tutshill and Sedbury, are located in England.
The town had a population of 10,821 according to the 2001 census.
The Forest of Dean
The Forest of Dean is a geographical, historical and cultural region in the western part of the county of Gloucestershire, England.
The forest is a roughly triangular plateau bounded by the River Wye to the west and north, the River Severn to the south, and the City of Gloucester to the east.
The area is characterised by over 110 square kilometres (42.5 sq mi) of mixed woodland, one of the surviving ancient woodlands in England.
A large area was reserved for royal hunting before 1066, and remained as the second largest Crown forest in England, the largest being New Forest. Although the name is often used loosely to refer to that part of Gloucestershire between the Severn and Wye, the Forest of Dean proper has covered a much smaller area since medieval times. In 1327 it was defined to cover only the royal demesne and parts of parishes within the hundred of St Briavels, and after 1668 the Forest comprised the royal demesne only. This area is now within the civil parishes of West Dean, Lydbrook, Cinderford, Ruspidge, and Drybrook.
Traditionally the main sources of work in the area have been forestry – including charcoal production - iron working and coal mining.
Archaeological studies have dated the earliest use of coal in the forest to Roman times, for domestic heating and industrial processes such as the preparation of iron ore.
The area gives its name to the local government district, Forest of Dean, and a Parliamentary constituency, all of which cover wider areas than the historic Forest. The administrative centre of the local authority is Coleford which is also one of the main towns in the historic Forest area, together with Cinderford and Lydney.